Frozen Equinox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to Frozen Equinox!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Our Staff
Wolf Communication  I2t0gg Aero -- Pack Founder & Leader
Latest topics
» Welcome Rose!
Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 1:58 pm by Aero

» Fairy Tail
Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 3:28 pm by Portia

» Character Interview!
Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 12:48 pm by Koto

» Welcome to the Pack Charlie and Portia!
Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 7:15 pm by Portia

» Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare
Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am by Aero

Current Weather
Affiliation Button
    Frozen Equinox's Button
Websites Affiliated
free forum

Wolf Communication

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aero
Kazekage
Kazekage
Aero

Wolf Statics
Wisdom & Focus:
Wolf Communication  Left_bar_bleue200/200Wolf Communication  Empty_bar_bleue  (200/200)
Strength & Endurance :
Wolf Communication  Left_bar_bleue300/300Wolf Communication  Empty_bar_bleue  (300/300)
Kazekage's Respect:
Wolf Communication  Left_bar_bleue500/500Wolf Communication  Empty_bar_bleue  (500/500)

Wolf Communication  Empty
PostSubject: Wolf Communication    Wolf Communication  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2013 6:10 pm

Body Language

- Wolves use body language to convey the rules of the pack. A wolf pack is very organized. Rule number one says that the pack is made up of leaders and followers. The pack leaders are the male parent and the female parent - usually the father and mother of the other pack members. They are likely to be the oldest, largest, strongest and most intelligent wolves in the pack. They are known as the alpha wolves and are usually the only members of the pack to produce pups.

- There are two levels of submissive behavior: active and passive. Active submission is a contact activity in which signs of inferiority are evident such as crouching, muzzle licking and tail tucking. The behaviors typical of active submission are first used by pups to elicit regurgitation in adults. These behaviors are retained into adulthood by subordinate wolves, where they function as a gesture of intimacy and the acceptance of the differentiation of the roles of the wolves that are involved.

- Passive submission is shown when a subordinate wolf lays on its side or back, thus exposing the vulnerable ventral side of its chest and abdomen to the more dominant wolf. The subordinate wolf may also abduct its rear leg to allow for anogenital inspection by the dominant wolf. If two wolves have a disagreement, they may show their teeth and growl at each other. Both wolves try to look as fierce as they can. Usually the less dominant wolf, the subordinate one, gives up before a fight begins. To show that it accepts the other wolf's authority, it rolls over on its back. Reactions to this behavior may range from tolerance (the dominant wolf standing over the submissive wolf) to mortal attack, particularly in the case of a trespassing alien wolf. Following the dominance rules usually keeps the wolves in a pack from fighting among themselves and hurting each other.

Emotions

- Wolves convey much with their bodies. If they are angry, they may stick their ears straight up and bare their teeth. A wolf who is suspicious pulls its ears back and squints. Fear is often shown by flattening the ears against the head. A wolf who wants to play dances and bows playfully

Urination

- Wolves have a very good sense of smell about 100 times greater than humans. They use this sense for communication in a variety of ways. Wolves mark their territories with urine and scats, a behavior called scent-marking. When wolves from outside of the pack smell these scents, they know that an area is already occupied. It is likely that pack members can recognize the identity of a packmate by its urine, which is useful when entering a new territory or when packmembers become separated. Dominant animals may scent mark through urination every two minutes. When they do so they raise a leg, this dominant posture utilizes multiple forms of communication and is called a "Raised Leg Urination" or RLU.

- Wolves will also use urine to scent mark food caches that have been exhausted. By marking an empty cache, the animal will not waste time digging for food that isn't there.

Vocals

- Have you ever heard a wolf howl? They're not howling at the moon they are communicating. They call any time of the day, but they are most easily heard in the evening when the wind dies down and wolves are most active. Wolves' vocalizations can be separated into four categories: barking, whimpering, growling, and howling. Sounds created by the wolf may actually be a combination of sounds such as a bark-howl or growl-bark.

Wolf Communication  Wolfcom
Back to top Go down
https://frozenequinox.forumotion.com

Wolf Communication
Page 1 of 1